Too many homeowners are unaware of how often their HVAC equipment needs to be maintained. Just like your car, your furnace, air conditioner, whole-home humidifier and other HVAC equipment is liable to breakdown if it isn’t maintained. If you have invested in high-efficiency or long-lasting equipment, forgoing maintenance can really hurt you in the long run. Here’s what you need to know about HVAC maintenance.
Why is HVAC Maintenance Important?
There are many benefits of getting your HVAC maintenance every year. Here are just a few of them:
- Full Lifespan: Equipment that is properly maintained is much more likely to make it to its full lifespan, and maybe even years beyond that.
- Reduce Repairs: Small problems with your equipment soon become large problems. You can avoid major repairs if you get the small issues dealt with right away.
- Maintain Efficiency: The energy-efficiency of your appliances is important, and regular maintenance protects it, so that they can keep using as little energy as possible.
- Save Money: All of these other benefits save you money. You’ll pay less for repairs, less on utilities and less by having to replace your equipment less often.
- Improve Safety: Poorly functioning equipment can present a serious safety hazard. A technician will notice and correct any safety issues before they become concerns.
- Air Quality: There are benefits of changing HVAC filters, as part of maintenance, including keeping your air healthy. Doing so will help keep your air free of contaminants, allergens and dust. It can also help reduce mould issues. An air purifier and dehumidifier are also useful tools to look into for this purpose.
- Help the Environment: Properly functioning equipment will use less energy and is also less likely to pollute than damaged equipment.
- Time: Booking maintenance is less time consuming than dealing with emergency repairs or safety hazards.
How to Get the Right Maintenance
Seasonal HVAC maintenance is required on all your equipment, but when should you do it? It can be useful to schedule it all at once, with tune-ups in the fall and the spring. That way, your HVAC technician can correct any problems before the peak of winter and summer, which is when you rely on your HVAC equipment the most.
Having trouble remembering when your equipment needs to be looked at? There are a few tricks you can use, like putting the dates into your calendar, or calling for maintenance when you switch from the furnace to the air conditioner and vice versus. If you have an HVAC maintenance plan from your Handy Bros. ClimateCare, we will remind you when it’s time to get the work completed.
Keeping your family comfortable all year long is our number one priority at Handy Bros. Contact us today to schedule your maintenance appointment.